What To Do After A Fire
Experiencing a fire, whether at your home or place of business, can be very scary and stressful. Once the fire is out, you may not know what to do or who to call to move forward.
After any fire damage situation, your first priority should be your safety. Is it safe to stay inside your house? If you do stay in the home, be sure to only do activities that are safe for you to perform.
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpet.
- Keep hands clean. Soot on hands can further soil upholstery, walls, and woodwork.
- Place dry, colorfast towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If the electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator completely and prop doors open to help prevent odor.
- Wipe soot from chrome on kitchen and bathroom faucets, trim and appliances, then protect these surfaces with a light coating of lubricant.
- If the heat is off during winter, pour RV antifreeze in the sinks, toilet bowls, holding tanks and tubs to avoid freezing pipes and fixtures.
- Wash both sides of leaves on houseplants.
- Change HVAC filter, but leave system off until a trained professional can check the system.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloths over air registers to stop particles of soot from getting in and out of the HVAC system.
- Don’t attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces without first contacting SERVPRO of Jackson/SE Ingham County.
- Don’t attempt to shampoo carpet or upholstered furniture without first consulting your SERVPRO Professionals.
- Don’t attempt to clean any electrical appliances (TV sets, radios, etc.) that may have been close to fire, heat or water without first consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don’t consumer any food or beverages that may have been stored close to fire, heat or water. They have be contaminated.
- Don’t turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. Wiring may be wet or damaged and cause electrical shock, and air movement may create secondary damage.
- Don’t send garments to the dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set in smoke odor.
If your home or business has been damaged by a fire, call SERVPRO of Jackson/SE Ingham County!